April challenge
Day 17 - What is the thing you most wish you were great at?
Wow, how about everything? But really, if I just had to pick one thing I think it would have to be socializing. My parents and grandparents are the friendly, talkative sort, whereas I always feel like a bumbling and awkward conversationalist. Especially with people I don't know very well. Most of the time my brain knows what it wants to say, but somehow it usually never comes out very smoothly. But I hope that someday I'll be able to do as good a job of hosting people as they do.
Aww, I get this. I don't know if it helps much, but it sounds like you're in your own head a lot in social situations. The best way I know to be good at socializing, if this makes any sense, is to forget oneself and how one appears to others and think about how other people feel.
ReplyDeleteUsually, they're worried about making a good impression, speaking smoothly, being awkward, too. So if you let yourself be vulnerable to them, they'll feel at ease and think you're brilliant.
I don't know why I'm telling you all this, but I do understand where you're coming from. My parents entertain people all the time, and I rarely know what to say.
Wow, that's great advice. Thanks so much for writing it and making me remember how smart you are! :) I'll do my best to follow it.
DeleteWow. That's my problem, too! :) It's usually when I'm trying to think of what to say and speak at the same time that I fumble. When I let myself be comfortable and think of people as my friends, I just speak off the cuff and don't make as many . . . errors? lol.
ReplyDeletei heard once that people always love to talk about themselves so if you have a mental list of questions to ask you are always ok with conversations.
ReplyDeletesome samples are:
you have a beautiful daughter. what is she doing to keep you busy these days?
where did you go to school for college?
what was the best trip you ever went on?
what do you love about your job?
how did you meet your spouse?
Also good advice. I just need to remember it now...
Delete