Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Day 4 - 10 things to tell my 16-year-old self

*Note: So I've been kind of behind in this challenge so far since this blog is set to Eastern time and I'm over here in Korea. I know I could change it over to Korean time, but lots of the posts on this blog were written during my last year at Southern and I'd hate to change the time zone and have all the posts end up on the wrong day and such. So I've decided to just write each day's challenge on the correct day in my current time zone and then publish them. They might end up out of whack compared to North American time, but it's too hard to try to figure out what time of day it is back home otherwise, and I don't want to keep posting behind schedule.

April challenge
Day 4 - List 10 things you would tell your 16-year-old self, if you could.

Wow, this one is hard. I can't think of any at the moment. But I'm sure that once I get typing I'll come with a few. Let's see...
  1. Don't stress about school or practicing. Even after a bad day, it will always be there again tomorrow.
  2. Don't fight with your siblings about what bowings to do for pieces you are going to perform together. Or who gets to do the melody/harmony for different songs. And for goodness sake, figure out what you're going to play for special music before late Friday night!
  3. Take a French class somewhere other than at your high school. You're going to regret your lack of French-speaking abilities for the rest of your life. (Or just spend a summer in Quebec, New Brunswick, St. Pierre/Miquelon islands, or France.)
  4. Have somebody fix that silly old edgebander once and for all so you don't have to stop every few hours to jiggle a few parts and get it working right again. (If you don't get this taken care of, you'll be ironing off a bunch of wood tape that got ruined by the machine and having to retape it all.)
  5. It's not the end of the world if you get a learner hair stylist who botches your hair cut. It'll grow back, eventually... (But do try to find someone you trust with your hair as quick as possible.)
  6. Don't bother buying too many new clothes. You'll still be wearing some of the same ones you have ten years from now.
  7. Spend more time with your Pepper-dog. She's pretty special. And maybe buy her her own personal soccer ball so she doesn't keep wrecking all the family soccer and volleyballs when you play soccer with her.
  8. Push harder for Dad to get all the old home videos put onto DVDs.
  9. Don't expend too much energy figuring out your future children's first and middle names. Your husband may have vastly different preferences. (PS people - no we're not pregnant, nor are we planning for it in the very near future.)
  10. Don't buy books you haven't read before. Always get them from the library for the first read through. THEN, if you know you're going to read them again (and again and again) buy a copy.

8 comments:

  1. I loved number 9! I am MAJOR into names and love writing down ones I like. Thought it was interesting you like them, too. (at least enough to write about it on here)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia, my sister and I made up an entire spreadsheet (names she likes, names I like and then each of those split into girls and boys). It's pretty epic, haha!

      Delete
    2. NICE! I have a post-it note on my computer with tons of names. I used to brainstorm during boring classes. Still do sometimes, but I've been through most of them. Never gotten as intense as a spreadsheet, though. That's pretty incredible!! Haha!!

      Delete
  2. I miss Pepper too.
    I keep thinking about getting a bunny rabbit like Jocko or a little puppy dog or a frog... but they all need care when we are away.
    It will be very very interesting to see which baby names make it to the actual baby when that day comes.
    You learned a lot of good things in your life already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. Aww Ali, I wanna know the names you came up with for your future kids first and middle names at age 16!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of them are still the same ones I like now. Probably relatively few of those will ever make into my children's names, though. I'll show you the spreadsheet next time we hang out. :)

      Delete
  4. Great list! I was wondering what you'd come up with here.

    ReplyDelete