Well today I went to the Cohutta Triathlon for the first time ever (this weekend was a lot of firsts for me, I guess). I've been to Cohutta Springs twice before, but never for the triathlon. Bryn, Danielle and I, the cheering section, got a ride with Jonathan and Tim, actual participants, and, after a little bit of unsureness about the correct route, we finally made it. Tim and Jonathan went off to find the last member of their team, register and do all that important stuff while Danielle, Bryn and I sat on the grass, half people-watching and half homeworking (well, only Danielle was homeworking, Bryn and I were coaching her on French vocab). When the triathlon was about ready to start, we made our way to the lake where the swimmers had assembled and watched the different heats take off. It was hard to figure out who was who as the swimmers came in, but we managed to identify most of our friends and cheer for them. When Caitlin, the other member of Tim and Jonathan's team, got out of the water we ran behind her to watch Jonathan take off on his bike. Then we found a place near where the bikers came back to the finish line and settled down to work on homework and other stuff while we waited. We cheered for various people we knew as they left from/arrived at the biking area. When Jonathan came back in we watched for Tim to take off running. We stayed at that spot until pretty much everyone we knew came by and finished the triathlon and then we milled around talking to people until it was time to go. All in all, it was pretty interesting and a great way to spend a Sunday morning and afternoon. As I watched the interactions between people at the triathlon, both competitors and cheerers, I was vaguely reminded of my high school years when a bunch of my violin teacher's students and my brother's cello teacher's students competed with each other at music festivals. It was always a fun time of bonding together, even if we were playing against each other, and a good learning experience. That's what the triathlon was like today, everyone encouraging each other. It was a really neat thing to see.
Now, in other news, last night my friend, Danielle, convinced Bryn and I to watch "Star Wars" with her. She's been trying to do that for probably about a year and a half now. Last night she finally succeeded. Neither of us were too impressed with it. The only character I really liked at all was Han Solo. He was kind of cool, as pilots usually are. But I especially couldn't stand that stupid Wookiee guy and his dumb groanings that were supposed to be words. I kind of felt like Stella on "How I Met Your Mother" when she watches "Star Wars" for the first time with her fiance, Ted. She was pretending to like it because it was Ted's all-time favouritest movie ever, but she was hating it the entire time (to watch the scene, click here). Actually, I guess I didn't really hate it, but it was pretty cheesy and kind of confusing to figure out all the random robots and other assorted non-human characters. The storyline was okay though, I guess. Anyway, I pretty much guessed a lot of how things were going to turn out and got most of them right. But now I guess I can say I've watched "Star Wars." Oh and also, last night another friend, Stephen, called to ask what we were doing and when I said we were going to watch "Star Wars" he asked if he and his friend, Billy, could come over to watch with us. I said sure. When they got here, they came in and Billy walked straight into the kitchen, picked up a hunk of my smoked gouda cheese that was still sitting on the counter from a little bit earlier when I had made myself a sandwich, and gulped down the entire thing. I was quite amazed and slightly annoyed, too, because smoked gouda is pretty much my favourite kind of cheese ever and that was the last of it I had. Plus, it's pretty expensive. Anyway, it happened so fast there wasn't much I could do about it. Weirdly interesting, eh?
hope billy doesn't ever read this... or maybe you want him to, idk... should i send him a link? :)
ReplyDeleteI totally understand about the whole Star Wars thing. When I was in high school, two of my friends tried for a long time to convince me to watch it with them, so one day I agreed, and they showed me episode 4 (which is supposedly the equivalent of episode 1). I almost fell asleep, which is a rare occurence for me when I'm in front of the television. But I also was able to guess the majority of what was going to happen and just thought it seemed pretty ridiculous. Oh well.
ReplyDeleteI can see your point, but I suppose I should admit that I kind of liked them. Chewbacca (a Wookiee) just talks differently from people; you wouldn't criticize Aussies for their accent, now would you? Also, remember the context of the times. It would have seemed awesome to you if you were say, twelve, or saw it in the '70s.
ReplyDeleteNow for something fun I think you might like, since it's shorter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kggmTwkQjAM
I hope you like it! :-)
(some of the other vids are good too)
I don't get it....maybe if I were more familiar with the episodes it would be hilarious.
ReplyDeleteHaha, thanks for the link. I waited until my sister was home and then we watched it together and highly enjoyed the synopsis!
ReplyDelete