Monday, March 15, 2010

Turtle Island Quartet

I went to the double convocation tonight. Danielle had me thinking it was going to be great (I think she saw them play or maybe did some work with the cellist at a music camp or something like that) so I got one of the free tickets for their 8:30 concert. After two songs I was bored out of my mind. Not that the group wasn't good. They each played pretty well and the songs sounded good. It's just that every single song sounded exactly the same to me. That's my opinion of jazz. I feel kind of bad saying it, but it's true; jazz is boring. I came to that conclusion at Walla Walla where they added a saxophone or bass to song services to jazz things up, literally. I mean jazz is fine in moderation, but there's a limit to how much a person can handle at one time. So, throughout the entire concert, I was sitting in Ackerman wishing the Turtle Island Quartet was playing Cape Breton fiddle music. Forgive me, I'm Canadian. I can definitely relate better to the trills and reels Celtic music than to the slides and dissonance of the jazz style.

2 comments:

  1. I can understand that. I'm glad my heritage is so mixed up. I like anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wish I could have heard them.
    their name is really neat.

    ReplyDelete