Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Notes vs. Words

Back in my early years of high school I had a brief aspiration to become a composer. Of course, that was before I started music theory. Soon after beginning theory lessons I realized I wasn't a very good theory student. While I reluctantly followed the traditional rules of music, I felt constantly cramped and constricted by them. Following the rules simply because "that's how it's always done" bothered me. Many times I'd ask my theory teacher why I couldn't just write music the way I wanted it to sound. I never got a satisfying answer, but I continued taking theory lessons, to compliment my violin and piano lessons, until I graduated from high school (although my fantasy of being a world renowned composer disappeared somewhere in the middle of my first year of theory lessons).

Thinking back, I'm glad I had the desire to be a composer even though it was short lived. It reminded me, during those years when my career goal changed every semester (or sometimes every month), of my true dream — to inspire others. The difference is that now, instead of trying to use music notes, I use words.

No comments:

Post a Comment